Thursday 2 January 2014

December 2013 Empties and Testers

For anyone who's like me, you probably have a lot of samples lying around your room. Admit it: you've thought about throwing them all out, but you feel bad. After seeing many people's blog posts about their empties/ "hit-the-pan" experiences, I thought I'd try it out.

All I can say is, what a great feeling! It's nice being able to actually set a goal and get through all those pesky samples and beauty/makeup products I have :D

For December 2013, here are the products I tested/finished:



 1. Philosophy Living Grace fragrance, eau de toilette: (sample size = 1.5 mL / 0.05 fl. oz.) Full size: C$20 - C$55 at Sephora

I wish I had a better review for this, but truth of the matter is you won't believe me. In all honesty, I opened the stopper (it's one of those pesky cork-like vials), it slipped out of my hand, and spilt all over my comforter :(

From what I smelt, it was a nice scent. I will have to get another one to do a proper review.

2. Make Up For Ever Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder Foundation: (sample size = small paper circles, net wt. 0.003 oz.) Full size: C$42 at Sephora

This sample came with 4 small circles of shades for fair complexions. I opted to try shade 117, Golden Ivory.

It is an interesting foundation, to say the least. It's powder upon application, but it changes to a creamy-like texture once it heats up to your skin. Coverage was all right, a little did go a long way... that being said, does MUFE really expect a small circle of pressed powder, about 2 cm in diameter, to cover my face? I don't think so. If they do, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

3. Racinne: Ultimate Hydra Perfection Collection: (4 products, sample sizes  = 12 mL / 0.04 fl. oz. )
Full sizes: TBA

This review if for the following products used together:

Gentle Cleansing Foam
Essentialift Supplement Serum
Optimal Fortifying Emulsion
Ultimate Defense Illuminating Cream

All the products felt lightweight. At first I thought my face was gonna change overnight into someone else's face, what with the feeling of too much product at once. However, when I woke up in the morning, my face felt like a newborn's skin. I would definitely try all again, maybe with deluxe-size samples instead of foil packs, as I only got one use of each product. I will say this: my face was hydrated, like this collection's namesake.

You win this round, Racinne.

4. Kat Von D. Painted Love Lipstick, Lolita: (sample size = 0.042 oz. / 1.2 g) Full size: C$23 at Sephora

This review is for the dusty rose shade, Lolita. I found the colour did not compliment my skin tone (light-medium skin with olive undertones), as it was a dark dusty rose... I didn't even bother to finish it, as I tried it 3 times and truly did not like the colour.

5. Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub: (sample size = 30 mL / 1.7 fl. oz.) Full size: TBA

I received this in my August 2013 Ipsy bag, and boy was I glad I did. It's a really nice facial scrub, and it leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated. In terms of effectiveness, you do need to use it with consistency - I found if I used it 3-4 times a week, I had less blackheads around my nose.

Be sure to hydrate your skin after use, as I did find on days I didn't use it, my skin felt dry and/ or oily.

6. Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture for Eyes: (Sample size = 0.03 fl. oz. / 0.9 mL) Full size: TBA

I actually liked this. I found my eyes felt more rested and hydrated. I still have another 1 or 2 packets to try, so that'll give me a chance to go more in-depth with a review :D

7. Lancôme La vie est belle, L'Eau de Parfum: (Sample size = 1.5 mL / 0.05 fl. oz.) Full size: C$72 - C$109 at Sephora

This has become my fall/winter fragrance, as it has nice woodsy undertones. The combination of iris, patchouli, and gourmand make for a light and airy fragrance that surprisingly lasts a long time (from personal experience, I'd say at least 5+ hours after initial spray).

By chance some transferred onto my scarf, and I could smell it for 3 weeks - it smelt like I just put it on!

I loved it so much, bought the set at Hudson's Bay during Boxing Week. (See my in-depth review later on in my blog)

8. Pixi Lash Booster Mascara: (Sample size = ?) Full size: TBA

I got this in my Ipsy August 2013 glam bag as well. This honestly is one of the worst mascaras I've tried. I really tried to give it a chance, but it made my eyes water, the mascara itself was messy, and worse, it was a pain to take off. I didn't even bother to finish it, as I will definitely not purchase it again.

9. Yaby Concealer in "Honey", cc042: (Sample size = ?) Full Size: TBA

Yet another Ipsy product. This one was from my May 2013 Ipsy glam bag. The reason this is not finished is it has a yellow undertone, and is a shade or 2 darker than my skin. It was all right, and it did cover well.

10. Pürminerals Cease Crease Eye Shadow Primer: (Sample size = 0.07 oz. / 2 g.) Full size: TBA
This is actually a decent primer. I have another tube (a full-sized one) my aunt gave me, so I can review again in the future. With that being said, I am a bit biased (Too Faced Shadow Insurance stole my heart). Pürminerals , you'll need to impress me!

11. Too Faced Lip Insurance: (Sample size = 3.5 g / 0.12 Oz.) Full size: C$27 at Sephora
I LOVE this stuff! Keeps my lip colour locked in all day - even the colour from my lip gloss!

12. Atelier Cologne, Orange Sanguine: (Sample size = ?) Full size: C$28 - C$165 at Sephora
It's too strong for me to wear on my skin, so I use it to spritz up my room :)

13. Dior Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing Makeup SPF 15, shade 020 (Light Beige): Full size: C$54 at Sephora

If you're looking for a good liquid mineral-based foundation, this one is really good. It's light-weight, and it lets your skin breathe. Don't let the price deter you from purchasing, as a little goes a long way (this is the full-sized bottle I bought in January 2013. It's lasted me to December 2013). You'll only need 1-2 pumps to cover your face :)

All-in-all, there were a lot of things in these samples I'd probably purchase again (one being my foundation). If you have any questions, feel free to comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment